Braided Journeys FNMI Program
The Braided Journeys Program at O'Leary
|Please click on the image for the Newsletter!|
Braided Journeys programming is intended to support First Nations, Métis and Inuit youth to become leaders of character, vision and action. FNMI youth are provided multi-component, culturally-based programs that challenge their creativity, build on their skill set, and increase their support network. In addition, youth have the opportunity to develop citizenship skills, thus, enhancing self-esteem and confidence. Participants also gain skills from a variety of cultural and leadership activities.
Are you a First Nations, Metis or Inuit student?
Donita Large, our full-time FNMI Grad Coach will be happy to meet you. We will also want to make sure you know where the Braided Journeys room is to access some great opportunities while at O'Leary!
What is a Grad Coach?
In one to one sessions Donita assists students by providing support and the tools needed for high school graduation, post-secondary studies and career planning.
Braided Journeys always has some great activities going on…
- Career & Cultural Speakers for PDT sessions
- Become a Literacy Mentor in second semester & be matched with a younger student
- Monday after school Math tutoring
- Leadership Club—Wednesdays after school and on select volunteer dates
- Thursday after school group tutoring
- Access to Elders and attendance at other cultural events
- Post-secondary tours
- Opportunities to attend camps, education & career conferences Family Events—Spring Feast
For more information on this program please contact Donita large at: 780-476-6251 or by email at: Donita.Large@ecsd.net