The ECSD Plumber Apprentice Program at Archbishop O'Leary High School is a two-year program that consists of construction and safety courses related to the Plumber trade in the first year, taken in the newly constructed and specially-designed classroom at Archbishop O'Leary; the only one of its kind in Western Canada. In the second year, plumber courses are taken both in the plumber classroom at the high school and at Edmonton's state-of-the-art Alberta Pipe Trades College. The program provides the knowledge, skills and techniques necessary for students to successfully complete the Apprentice and Industry Training (AIT) exam for advanced standing in the first period of technical training in Plumbing. Successful completion of the first period AIT exam with a mark of 70% allows the student to register into a contract as a first period apprentice. This allows students to work part-time as a Plumber apprentice as they complete high school at Archbishop O'Leary.
The Edmonton Catholic School District and Archbishop O'Leary High School thank the following partners, without whom the Plumber Apprenticeship Program would not be possible:
- Government of Canada (Western Economic Diversification)
- Government of Alberta (Alberta Education)
- Alberta Pipe Trades College
- United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters Union Local 488
- Canadian Institute of Plumbing and Heating (CIPH) and its member companies, including:
- Canplas Industries Ltd.
- Emco Corporation
- Fairview Fittings & Mfg. Limited
- Great Lakes Copper Ltd.
- Ipex Inc.
- Oatey Canada Inc.
- Canada Metal Pacific Ltd.
- Edmonton Catholic Schools Foundation
Contact Archbishop O'Leary High School for more information, or to register: 780-476-6251