Cardinal Leger Junior High School is a designated district site for the delivery of the Pre-Advanced Placement Program.
This program, using the Alberta Program of Studies will prepare students to acquire the knowledge, concepts, and skills needed to engage in a higher level of learning. More specifically, the program works towards developing the skills, academic self-discipline and the concepts necessary to continue in an Advanced Placement Program at the high school level; with anticipated entry into a university and/or college of their choice.
Pre-AP Program Rationale
The purpose of the Pre-Advanced Placement courses is to give students the opportunity to develop skills that will enable them to be successful in AP courses.
Pre-AP courses are characterized by an immersion in rigorous content, an accelerated pace, and performance assessment at the synthesis and evaluative levels.
The Pre Advanced Placement (Pre-AP) Program is based on the following two principles:
The first, is the expectation that students perform at rigorous academic levels. To reflect this, the curriculum will challenge students to expand their knowledge and skills at a higher level.
The second principles is the belief that, as early as possible, through the development of skills, acquisition of knowledge and engagement in their learning students can be prepared for increased academic commitment.
The Cardinal Leger Pre-AP program will:
- Comprehensively cover and extend curriculum, as well as enrich specific learner outcomes as outlined in the Program of Studies for each subject.
- Using inquiry-based learning, problem-based learning and community service, provide for an engaging and challenging learning environment.
- Include the incorporation of a global perspective from our faith-based, Catholic perspective that is founded on our social justice service towards others, which underscores the permeation of our values as we instill skills of responsibility and positive citizenship in our world.
Pre-AP will be offered in the following subject areas:
- Grade 7-9 English Language Arts
- Grade 7-9 Mathematics
- Grade 7 -9 Social Studies
- Grade 7-8 Science
The Pre-AP Program is designed for students who demonstrate strength in three skill set areas: Academic, Attitudinal and Behavioral.