St. Francis of Assisi Elementary School
St. Francis of Assisi School Mission Statement
In a supportive community of parents, staff and students, reaching their
Fullest potential through a foundation of literacy and technology, building toward
At St. Francis of Assisi School, we believe in ...
- Nurturing confident proactive students who are responsible for their choices and learning.
- Empowering all students to be leaders who grow academically and socially as they develop their God-given gifts.
- Fostering a Catholic environment where students, staff and parents celebrate diversity and a sense of belonging.
- Promoting the development of the mind, body and spirit where the healthy choice is the only choice.
· Parish Name - St. Matthew's Parish, Edmonton
· Parish Website - www.stmatthewrcedm.ca
St. Francis of Assisi School is happy to work in partnership with St. Matthew's Parish and other schools in our Family to support parents and children in preparing for the Sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Communion. Sacramental Sessions are offered in the fall, winter and spring in order to accommodate the busy schedules of families in our school community. The Sacramental Program involves:
- Parents registering their children for the sacraments and purchasing study guides through the parish.
- Parents and children taking part in three Saturday morning classes (one hour in length) for First Reconciliation or two Saturday morning classes (one hour in length) and a teaching mass for First Communion. All sessions are conducted by one of the parish priests.
- Parents and children reviewing assigned sections of the study guides at home prior to the parish-based sessions.
- Please note that parents whose child was not baptized at St. Matthew's Parish, are required to submit a copy of the child's baptismal certificate with their registrations.
All of the Schools in the Edmonton Catholic School District use a Religious Education Program that is prescribed by our Alberta Bishops and provided through the National Office for Religious Education in Ottawa. The Program ranges from Kindergarten to Grade Twelve, and offers students with an overview of our Catholic faith as well as grade specific themes.
Our School Namesake:
St. Francis of Assisi
Francis Bernadone was born in 1181 to Pietro and Pica Bernadone in Assisi, Italy. Francis' father was a cloth merchant and the family was well off.
Francis devoted his life to God and has become known to all the world as Saint Francis of Assisi. The many stories told about him illustrate the simple life of a man who carried God's message of love to everyone. Francis founded a religious community of men which is now known as the Franciscans. The members of this community own nothing. They are called friars. Francis also helped a woman named Clare organize a community for women. This community is known as the Poor Clares.
Francis, just like children, was filled with wonder at all of creation, and children feel a closeness to him. They especially appreciate his recognition that animals are God's creatures, too. Francis' message to us at St. Francis of Assisi school is that all of God's people are brothers and sisters. We are invited to include everyone in the membership of the family of God.
Dates of school events and celebrations can be found using the following school link: http://www.stfrancisofassisi.ecsd.net/newsletter.htm