NOTE: Construction continues in front of our school on 76 Ave and elsewhere in our Queen Alexandra neighbourhood. Access to 76 Ave is only available from the east (i.e. from the Calgary Trail direction) and then cars are detoured south on 105A Street. Both 105 Street and 77 Ave are open and operational.
As we welcome the 2017-18 school year, let us recall the impressive academic, spiritual, and athletic growth our Mount Carmel students demonstrated last school year. This is a unique school with diverse opportunities for students. May we all put in the effort required to make this the very best academic institution that it can be!
Our Academy Directors:
· Performing Arts Academy —Anna Paquin;
· Soccer Academy —Dawn Poulin-Biro;
· Hockey Academy —Andrew Zvonkovic or Bil La Forge;
· Recreation Academy —Jen Belous;
· Elite Athlete Program—Melissa Hough;
2017-2018 School Year Information
Our mission is to provide an education which embodies the faith principles of nurturing, acceptance, respect, love, and self-discovery.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel School serves a very large part of the south side of Edmonton. This includes not only the nearby communities of Queen Alexander, Park Allen, Pleasantview, Allendale, McKernan, & Belgravia, but most other areas as well with our Academy Programs.
- Elementary and junior high school with a small school family environment
- Academies - Hockey (G3-9), Soccer (G3-9), Performing Arts (G3-9), Recreation (G7-9)
- Elite Athlete Programming (Gr. 3-9)
- Elem Music Program and Junior High Band
- Junior High Food & Fashion Lab
- Junior High Construction Lab
- Performing Arts Centre
- Sports Performance Centre
- Fitness Training Centre
- Semestered Junior High Option courses
- Historic Site - over 92 years of Catholic Education
- Inclusive Education: Learning Team - Our Lady of Mount Carmel School offers a wide variety of services to students including English as a Second Language.
- 80 wireless Chromebooks
- Desktop Computer lab
- iPad mobile labs
- Smartboards in all classes
- Up-to-date technological resources that support learning
- Active School Council
- RCSD speech and languages services
- Strong liaison with St. Anthony Parish
- "Just'n Out of School" before and after school care (780) 919-7471
Our Patron Saint
Mount Carmel is a mountain spur projecting into the sea south of Haifa, Israel. Its bold outline can be seen for many miles. The name means "garden" or "orchard".
Mount Carmel became a refuge for early Christian hermits and monks. In about 1156 the Order of Carmelites was founded and a monastery was built to the honour of St. Mary of Mount Carmel.
Devotion to Our Lady of Mount Carmel spread throughout Europe by the returning Crusaders and by members of the Carmelite Order. Notable shrines and churches were founded in honour of Mary under the title of Carmel or Carmen. In England in 1251 the Virgin appeared to St. Simon Stock, Prior General of the Order of Mount Carmel. According to tradition, Our Lady promised special blessings to all that wore the Carmelite scapular which signified total dedication to her Son, Jesus Christ. Honour to Our Lady of Mount Carmel is worldwide.
The Prayer to Our Lady of Mount Carmel is: Lord let the motherly prayer of the glorious virgin come to our help. Through her support help us reach the true mount which is Jesus Christ. Amen