Entering kindergarten is an exciting time for your child and is an important first step in their Catholic education. We want this transition to the school community to be as smooth as possible for you and your child. Holy Cross School has a unique way of orienting your child to the program but here are some special tips that you can begin working on immediately to help make the transition from home to school as smooth as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
How old must my child be to register for an Early Learning program?
To be eligible for Kindergarten your child must be five years old on or before March 1 of the school year that they will be starting Kindergarten.
To be eligible for Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K), your child must be four years old on or before March 1 of the school year. Fees may apply. Please contact the school offering Pre-K for further information or call an Early Learning consultant at 780 638 6810 or by fax at 780 638 6844.
You will be asked to provide proof of your child’s name, date of birth and citizenship. Only the following documents verifying birth are accepted:
- Birth certificate
- Canadian Citizen Certificate
There are many ways that you can make the transition to school go smoothly for your child:
Talk often about Pre-K/Kindergarten and reassure your child that it will be an exciting experience.
- Attend the Pre-K/Kindergarten Open House at your child’s school in the spring.
- Find out when your child can meet his/her teacher and have a tour of the classroom before school begins in the fall.
- Help your child develop a sense of responsibility. Encourage your child to learn to look after his/her belongings.
- Read with your child daily and have conversations about the books read.
- Explore the world that your child lives in. Talk about what your child sees. Point out signs, numbers and letters that he/she sees.
- Provide opportunities for your child to interact with other children to promote the development of social skills.
- Encourage your child to know his/her personal information (i.e. first and last name and phone number).
- Celebrate together in the little accomplishments that occur each day.
- Pray together.
What should I tell the teacher about my child?
The Early Learning teacher and the school will want as much information as possible. Some guidelines that might help the teacher get to know your child better include:
- How does your child feel about coming to school?
- Has your child been in pre-school or daycare or will this be his/her first experience away from home?
- What are your child’s special passions or interests?
- What are your child’s special needs? (This includes everything from allergies to fears, unique physical or medical conditions, previous speech and language intervention, emotional or behavioural patterns, or any major change that might be occurring in your child’s life).