St. Bernadette School Plan for Continuous Growth 2016-2019.pdf
"Growing together in love."
As part of Edmonton Catholic Schools, St. Bernadette School serves the Beverly community, including Bergman, Beacon Heights, Abbottsfield and our new neighbours in Anderson Gardens. We welcome students of all faiths into our Catholic school community where the dedicated staff, together with parents, is committed to the education of our students. We believe that the partnership of home, school and parish will be successful in providing the positive Christian learning environment needed for each child to uniquely develop spiritually, academically, socially, emotionally and physically.
St. Bernadette offers programming for students from kindergarten to grade 6, including a full day kindergarten program. This year we are continuing to offer the 100 Voices AM and PM program (preschool program for 3 and 4 year olds). Based on the Alberta curriculum, our students are engaged in experiences that enhance and enrich learning, promote literacy development in all subject areas and encourage appropriate social interaction so that they can become the capable and caring leaders of tomorrow. This year, we are pleased to offer Before and After School Care on site. If you would like more information , please contact Pat at 780-990-6940.
As educators, we feel privileged to be part of this Christ-centered learning community, ensuring that all students have the opportunity to learn within a safe and nurturing school, where all students are encouraged to develop appropriate behaviors which respect the dignity of others and contribute to a positive learning atmosphere. We encourage and welcome parents to participate in all areas of their child’s education, as they are their first and most important teachers. Please take time to check Alberta Education Parent information related to your child's education:
We pray that God’s love will abundantly bless our school community and our families throughout the school year.
St. Bernadette School shares the vision of Edmonton Catholic School District’s statement "Our students will learn together, work together and pray together in answering the call to a faith-filled life of service." but adds that: As a school community, we celebrate the gift of every child, developing 21st century learning skills by integrating literacy and technology for inquiry.
The mission of St. Bernadette Catholic Elementary School, as a Christ-centred community, is to inspire all students to learn and to prepare them to live fully and to serve God in one another.
Bernadette Soubrious (1844-1879) was born to a very poor family in Lourdes, France. When Bernadette was fourteen, out gathering firewood for her family, the Mother of Jesus first appeared to her. Bernadette was confused. The townsfolk refused to believe her. On the eighteenth and last appearance, the Blessed Virgin identified herself as the “Immaculate Conception”. Then everyone believed, for these were words unfamiliar to a simple fourteen year old. Mary asked Bernadette to make known the healing powers of the springs of water in Lourdes.
When she was twenty-two, she was admitted to a religious order. She spent the rest of her days there, a short distance from Lourdes. After suffering heroically for years with tuberculosis, she died a bold death on April 15, 1879.
A beautiful church, called the Rosary, and a statue of the Virgin Mary were erected at the grotto where the vision occurred. Each year, a few million people visit the shrine to pray and seek healing. Bernadette was declared a saint in 1933.
The devotion that St. Bernadette had for Mary the Mother of Jesus inspires us at St. Bernadette School to continue to pray for social justice and world peace.
St. Bernadette School serves the Beverly community, including Bergman, Beacon Heights, and Abbottsfield. We offer 100 Voices (four year olds) and full day Kindergarten (no fees). A yellow school bus service is available for students within catchment area at NO COST. School registration fees are not requested at St. Bernadette School and most field trips are subsidized by St. Bernadette Fundraising Society/School Council.
- St. Bernadette embraces the philosophy of a Christ centered learning environment that celebrates the Catholic faith lived out through our daily actions.
- Provides a Professional Learning Community that is committed to student academic achievement and the development of each individual's God-given gifts and talents.
- Welcomes community/parent volunteers
- Offers a welcoming multicultural environment
- Integrates literacy and technology - for inquiry, engaging students in their learning
- Focuses on child-centered instruction and inquiry based projects.
- Promotes best teaching practices that will meet the diverse learning needs of the students.
- Promotes all stages of Social Justice (locally/globally)
- Values home-school-parish connection
- Learning Coach
- Media Resource Facilitator
- Assessment for Learning/Literacy Team Diagnostic, formative and summative assessment tools
- Rich Classroom libraries
- Community partnerships with
- ESHIP - Capital Health
- Abbottsfield Youth Program (AYP)
- Police Liaison Officer
- E4C - Snack Program
- St. Clare's RC Parish
- St. Alphonsus Knights of Columbus
- Ukrainian CWLC
- Optimist Club
- Active School Council/ Fundraising Society
- Computer lab with LCD projector
- School Broadcast System
- SMART Board Technology throughout
- FM system in every classroom
- Snack Kitchen
- Courtyard and Outdoor Classroom
- Large Creative Playground
- Large gymnasium