English Language Arts 7, 8 & 9
Welcome to English Language Arts. We look forward to working with you to build a classroom of engaged readers and writers!
“Language is the basis of all communication and the primary instrument of thought. It is essential for forming relationships, extending experiences, reflecting on thought and action, and contributing to society.”…The aim of English language arts is to enable each student to understand and appreciate language and to use it confidently and competently in a variety of situations for communication, personal satisfaction and learning.”
– Alberta Education, Program of Studies, English Language Arts
Students will listen, speak, read, write, view and represent to:
★ explore thoughts, ideas, feelings, and experiences.
★ comprehend and respond personally and critically to oral, print, and other media texts.
★ manage ideas and information.
★ enhance the clarity and artistry of communication.
★ respect, support, and collaborate with others.
As a student in English Language Arts class, you are expected to:
- HAVE A BOOK TO READ WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES
- come prepared to class with the required materials
- respect classmates, teachers and the school community as a whole
- ask questions to clarify and extend understandings
- participate in class activities and work cooperatively
- stay engaged and focused
- do your best, and help your classmates to do the same
- complete homework and hand in assignments on time.
- read, review and study on a regular basis
- avoid plagiarism/copying/cheating
- take responsibility for work missed when absent from class
- speak to the teacher as soon as possible if any difficulties are experienced