We, the Catholic School Community of Father Michael Troy will work together as a family to foster positive relationships. We will strive for excellence in our pursuit of individual, school and district goals. Through our faith, we will strengthen our core values of loyalty, fairness, honesty, dignity and respect, personal and communal growth and become lifelong learners.
We believe that Father Michael Troy School is a Catholic school community where in learning through the Holy Spirit:
- each individual will feel welcomed, safe and secure both physically and emotionally
- our words and actions will reflect Jesus’ teachings and we will celebrate our Catholic faith
- students, staff and parents will follow and foster an atmosphere of honesty, dignity and respect, loyalty and fairness
- every student is capable of success in their learning and each individual will be challenged to reach their personal potential and use all of their gifts.
- we will recognize our responsibility to those in need within both our own community and the greater community
Parish Name - Corpus Christi Parish
Parish Name - St. Theresa Parish
Father Michael Troy School is happy to work in partnership with Corpus Christi and St. Theresa Parishes and other schools in our Family of schools to support parents and children in preparing for the Sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation. Sacramental Sessions are offered in the fall, winter and spring in order to accommodate the busy schedules of families in our school community. The Sacramental Program involves:
- Parents registering their children for the sacraments and purchasing study guides through the school, at the Parent Information Evening, or through the parish.
- Parents and children taking part in Sacramental Preparation sessions offered at the parishes. All sessions are conducted by one of the parish priests.
- Children receiving the Sacraments with classmates from school at a designated mass.
- Please note that children are required to submit a copy of the child's baptismal certificate with their registrations.
All of the Schools in the Edmonton Catholic School District use a Religious Education Program that is prescribed by our Alberta Bishops and provided through the National Office for Religious Education in Ottawa. The Program ranges from Kindergarten to Grade Twelve, and offers students with an overview of our Catholic faith as well as grade specific themes.
Our School Namesake: Father Michael Troy
Father Michael Troy was born in Dublin on October 1, 1917. He was a member of the religious congregation of missionaries known as the Spiritans.
Inspired by great Spiritan role models, Michael Troy left Ireland to come to Canada. In 1965, he moved to Edmonton and began teaching at Archbishop MacDonald High School. Eventually he went to Saint Joseph’s High School where he remained for more than thirty five years as a teacher, coach, pastor, counselor and friend to hundreds of staff and students.
The mention of his name evokes a profound sense of gratitude from thousands of people whose lives he’s touched. His encouragement of all to follow the guidance of the Holy Spirit has led to many outstanding leaders emerging from St. Joe’s.
Father Troy lived out the mission of the Spiritans by being involved in missionary outreach to impoverished countries. He edited the worldwide missionary magazine The Spiritan and was the executive director of the Edmonton Archdiocesan Mission Council. He spearheads the Holy Childhood Association through which schools raise thousands of dollars for countries in need. This “Kids Helping Kids” project is just another way that Father Troy continued to inspire staff and students to recognize the great gift that God has given them “to learn, to work, to live fully and to serve God in one another”.