November 23, 2021 - Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School
Joan Carr served as Superintendent of Edmonton Catholic Schools for 14 years until her passing in February 2020. She was a passionate advocate for Catholic education and fostered a culture of excellence in learning that was grounded in the love of Jesus. Her visionary leadership has been recognized and celebrated locally, provincially, and nationally, including being named Canadian Superintendent of the Year in 2016.
- The school is located at 1140 - Keswick Drive SW
- The capacity of the school is 950
- There is a dedicated bus lane and parent drop off lanes
- Two gymnasiums
- Abundance of natural light
- LEED Silver Design, resulting in annual energy savings
- Two storey learning commons
- 21 century design and learning opportunities
Establishing Attendance Boundaries for Newly Constructed Schools
A year prior to the opening of a newly constructed school, the Division proposed proposes the school’s attendance boundary based on the following criteria:
- The number of children between the ages of 0-4 living in an area
- The number of ECSD students currently residing in an area
- Available student capacity in the planned area
- Future growth and total potential in an area
- The pace of residential development in the area
Attendance Boundaries should be coterminous with neighbourhoods and should avoid crossing any major highways or natural/human made barriers, if applicable. Note: When a school offers specialized programming, natural/human made barriers may not be applicable.
Nov 23rd - Proposed Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School Attendance Boundaries, 2022-2023
ECSD proposed the following attendance boundaries effective September 2022-2023:
Grade Configuration Student Transition
ECSD proposed the following options as potential opening grade configurations:
- The school opens as a Kindergarten to Grade 7, adding the subsequent grade each year until reaching Kindergarten to Grade 9 in September 2024.
- The school opens as a Kindergarten to Grade 8, adding the subsequent grade each year until reaching Kindergarten to Grade 9 in September 2023.
- The school opens as a Kindergarten to Grade 9, effective September 2022.
- All Kindergarten to Grade 7, 8, or 9 students choosing to enroll in the regular program (subject to final grade configuration decision) residing in the outlined Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School attendance boundary will be designated to Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School, effective September 2022.
- To ensure balance utilization of all schools, grandfathering will not be permitted at this time.
- In the event that the school opens as a K-7 or K-8, transportation will be made available to students in Grades 8 and 9 finishing their junior high programming at St. John XXIII Catholic Elementary/Junior High School.
- Transportation will be available to Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School for those eligible students, effective September 2022.
The Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School attendance boundaries are designed:
- to keep neighbourhoods together. We want to support and build community connections between families living and attending school in the same area.
- to limit the amount of time it takes to walk, bike, or drive to school. We were intentional in our planning to ensure the centrally located school had easy access for all students.
- to minimize the impact of attendance area changes. Depending on the final decision made by administration, the school will open as a K-7 or K-8. This is intended to help keep as many siblings and friends together while reducing the number of transitions for the current junior high students attending St. John XXIII Catholic Elementary Junior High School.
- to support financial stewardship. The boundaries are designed with the cost-effectiveness of transportation in mind.
- to allow for future growth. This is a long-term plan built around a growing community. Our attendance boundaries will allow for new enrollment and limit the need for frequent boundary adjustments.
- to ease pressures at neighbouring schools. The opening of Joan Carr School will balance overutilization while maximizing student access to programs, resources, and extracurricular opportunities.
Nov 23, 2021 - View the Proposed Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School Attendance Boundary (PDF)
Nov 23, 2021 - View the Proposed St. John XXIII Catholic Elementary/Junior High School Attendance Boundary (PDF)
Thank you for your feedback!
ECSD accepted feedback on the Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School attendance boundaries via an online survey from Tuesday November 23 to December 3, 2021.
We’ll use the survey feedback to help inform the final 2022-2023 opening grade configuration. All decisions regarding the Joan Carr Catholic Elementary/Junior High School attendance boundaries and opening grade configuration will be posted on the Division webpage by December 15, 2021.
For more information on the attendance boundaries, contact Educational Planning at email@example.com
For more information on Transportation, contact Transportation Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-441-6078.