English as a Second Language
Who are English Language Learners?
- English Language Learners (ELLs) are students whose first language is a language other than standard Canadian English
- These students are newly arrived from other countries or Canadian-born
- They have diverse cultural backgrounds and school experiences
The Rate of Second Language Acquisition
- Research shows that it can take between 5-7 years (and sometimes longer) to learn a new language proficiently. Please see Characteristics of ELLs for further information.
- Edmonton Catholic Schools supports all diverse learners within an inclusive classroom.
- Elementary (Grade K-6) and Secondary (Grade 7-12)
- The classroom teacher and the teacher responsible for ELLs collaborate in the planning, instruction and assessment of grade level curriculum.
- The classroom teacher provides targeted instruction specific to the needs of the student through differentiated instruction, either individually or in small groups, as needed.
- Teachers use a yearly assessment (Alberta Education K-12 ESL Proficiency Benchmarks) to guide student learning.
- Some secondary schools offer additional ESL programming.
- All identified ELLs are assessed yearly with the Alberta Education K-12 ESL Proficiency Benchmarks to determine their level of English in order to program for them in the inclusive classroom.
- EDUCATE - an online resource for parents and students
Please Call to Make an Appointment
One World…One Centre