Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do the tuition fees for international students include the school fees, bus fees and diploma exam fees?

The tuition fees do not cover school fees for textbook rental, lockers and student activities. Once you register at your school, you would pay for these fees at the school office. School fees vary depending on what courses you take and the school you are attending, but on average school fees are around $250 and are payable directly to the school. Bus fees will vary from year to year. Diploma exam fees are paid for through the tuition.
What do I need to do to get my high school diploma?

To get a High School diploma the student has to complete a full high school program and obtain a minimum of 100 credits from both required and optional courses offered at the high school level. Depending on your level of English upon arrival, your prior courses of study and what your graduation expectations are, international students are likely to take longer to complete the requirements than a student who was born in Canada.
How long will it take me to complete my high school education?
A full academic high school program can take from three to four years to complete grades 10, 11 and 12. How much time you need will depend on how well you have done academically and with your English language studies before you come to Canada. You may need English preparation classes as part of your studies and completing these can take from five months to two years, depending on how well you know English when you begin, and how hard you study.

Where can I live in Edmonton?
Often International students live with relatives or with a responsible adult who already live in Edmonton. If you are a student without these connections, you may choose to explore a homestay provider:

Can I go to the school closest to where I will be living?
International students can apply to attend a school of their choice. It is recommended that the student attend a school closest to where they will be living

Do I need a Study Permit to attend Edmonton Catholic Schools?
YES. If you are studying with us for more than 5 months, you will need a Study Permit from the Government of Canada to attend our schools. The Canadian embassy in your country will need to see proof of your acceptance at a Canadian school, which is a Letter of Acceptance issued by the school division who accepted you. There are some restrictions to being in Canada on a Study Permit. To learn more, visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

When I graduate, will I be qualified to attend university anywhere in North America?
Our standards are high. If you do well academically in an Edmonton Catholic Schools high school, you will be qualified for entrance to most post-secondary institutions in North America. If you wish to continue to study in Edmonton, excellent programs are offered at the
University of Alberta,
MacEwan University,
Concordia University of Edmonton,
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology and
Kings University.
Is the application fee included in the tuition price or is it a separate fee?
The application fee is included in the tuition fee.
Is the application fee, health insurance fee and tuition paid at the same time or do they need to be paid separately?
You pay them all at once - once the application is complete and all fees are paid, a letter of acceptance will be issued.
If a student is applying for a full year can tuition be paid by semester?
The letter of acceptance will be issued to reflect the payment. If a student pays for one semester, the letter of acceptance will be for one semester. Note: Only high school students can apply for and pay for a semester at a time. Your study permit will also reflect the length of your studies. This means that you will have to renew your study permit, which will cost you extra money and time.  

How do I make an International payment?
International payments can be made by bank transfer, credit card and/o other local payment methods (depending on your country) on our International Payment Portal:
Will the students get an insurance card or anything else that shows they are insured?

The health insurance policy covers the student once he/she registers at our office.

What age of student will you accept? Will you accept a student who has already graduated from high school
Students must be under the age of 20 as of September 1 to be accepted into Edmonton Catholic Schools International Student Program. We accept students that have already graduated from high school only for the 4th year bridging program.


Do you have an orientation week? If so what dates?

Students are provided with an orientation at their meeting with International Student Program upon arrival in Edmonton. Students phone to book this meeting by calling: 1 (780) 441-6080 or by email
What day do you prefer the students to arrive?
It is recommended that students arrive in time for the orientation which is typically held the last full week in August.
Can students choose the classes they would like to take?
To a large extent students can choose the courses they would like to take, providing the courses they want are being offered at that particular time and they have the prerequisite courses in place and sufficient English.
How many international students attend Edmonton Catholic Schools? 
Edmonton Catholic has approximately 100 international fee paying students per year. That is less than 1% of the total student population.


When is holiday/vacation for the students?
Holiday periods include a two-week break from the middle of December to the beginning of January, a one-week break from the end of March to the beginning of April, and a summer break during the months of July and August. To view the school schedule click on 
school calendar.
Do I need to tell someone if I leave the program before the year is over?
Your success is our first priority. If you are not satisfied with the education program you are receiving, please contact International Student Program and ask to speak to the Manager of International Services.

Back to top