Accelerated Math and Science Program
The Accelerated Math and Science program is a math and science focus program for students in Grade 7-9. The program offers students an opportunity to specialize their focus in mathematics and/or science and is specially designed for those who have a love for learning, enjoy being challenged, and love solving problems in unique or creative ways!
The accelerated program is structured in a way that allows students to complete the Grade7-9 Program of Studies, along with Math 10C/Science 10 in three years. Students will enter High School with credit in Math 10C and Science 10.
The Accelerated Program is designed for students who enjoy a challenge, and are capable of learning at a faster rate than that of a regular classroom. It provides students with the opportunity to pursue Common Math 10 and Science 10 in their Grade 9 Junior High school year. Course requirements are rigorous, and students are commonly required to spend more time in out-of-class preparation in order to be successful.
Admission to the program will be based on the following criteria:
- Accomplish a standard of excellence achievement level on the Entrance Exam(s) based on the Grade 6 Learner outcomes and skills extending into the Grade 7 Math and/or Science curriculum learner outcomes. The exam consists of two parts: a calculator section and a non-calculator section.
- Students also require a recommendation from their grade 6 teacher(s) which will provide information regarding:
- Academic Achievement/Ability
- Work habits/Organizational Skills
- Ability to work independently
A selection committee composed of Accelerated Math and Science teachers and the school administration will review each student’s application. Based on the ADMISSION CRITERIA, the top students will be chosen for the program based on the class size restrictions and guidelines provided by Edmonton Catholic Schools in conjunction with Alberta Education class size requirement guidelines.
Program Eligibility Criteria
Student performance and program recommendations will be reviewed regularly. In order to ensure a student meets the Program of Studies learning requirements, any decision to have a student discontinue in the program will be made at the end of the school year.
- Academic Achievement
- Minimum 80% in subject to be accelerated or teacher recommendation
- Exemplary work habits
- A mature, positive attitude and exemplary classroom behaviour
- The ability to work independently
Demonstration of good work habits, task commitment and positive attitude are prerequisites for continuing in the program. Students exhibiting behaviour detrimental to their progress or the progress of the group may be required to move from the accelerated program to the regular program.
Schools Offering Accelerated Math and Science Program
- St. Rose Catholic Junior High School
- St. Hilda Catholic Junior High School
- St. Cecilia Catholic Junior High School
Please check the individual school websites or contact the school for updated information on Entrance Exam dates and times.
*Exam length is approximately 2 hours
The Accelerated Math and Science Program Entrance Exams are based on identified Alberta Education Key Learning outcomes from the grade 6 and 7 Program of Studies in the corresponding courses.