Skip to main content

Student Information

Who qualifies?

Permanent residents or protected persons who are of legal school-leaving age in Alberta.

Who doesn’t qualify?

  • People on Visitor, Student or Work visas
  • Canadian Citizens

How much is the cost?

Students don't pay anything; these classes are funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. 

What kind of classes are there?

Classes are divided into 2 programs depending on students' education back home,

  1. Foundations Program: for students who need help with their Reading and Writing because they didn't learn to read and write back home; they also study Listening and Speaking. Class levels are Foundation L, 1L, 2L, 3L and 4L. The video below shows literacy students at St. Francis.  
  2. CLB Program: for students who learned to read and write back home and need help with Listening and Speaking mainly, although they also study Reading and Writing. Class levels are CLB 1 through CLB 4 in daytime programs, and CLB 1 through CLB 6 in evening programs. 

When and where are the classes?

Students can choose a program from the 3 schools we have. They can also choose the time of the day to attend, full time during the day or part time during the evening.

What do students learn?

The learn English and how to settle in Canada, for example housing (how to talk to neighbours and the landlord), banking (how to read pay stubs), education (how to write a note to a child's teacher), employment (how to follow instructions in the workplace), citizenship (how to understand a letter from the application), etc.

What do students get?

  • A certificate for each level students complete
  • After reaching CLB 4, a certificate that students can use to apply for Canadian Citizenship 
  • Free child care during the day
  • Information from guest speakers
  • Help from a Student Advisor
  • Help from qualified and experienced teachers and staff

How do students start?

Before visiting one of our schools, students need to complete an assessment at Catholic Social Services. They will receive the results of their language test and information about our schools. When students come to our schools, they need to show the results of their language test and their permanent resident card or landing papers. 

Back to top