2017-2018 SCHOOL OPENING MASS
Thursday, August 31, 2017
Seating begins at 8:15AM and Mass begins at 8:55AM
The Edmonton Catholic School District and the Edmonton Catholic Teachers Local 54 invite all present and former staff to attend our 2017-2018 School Opening Mass.
“How beautiful the hands that served the wine and the bread and the sons of the earth…how beautiful is the body of Christ.” (Lyrics “How Beautiful” -Twila Paris)
How beautiful is our School Opening Mass when we gather as a community and break bread together! We continue to celebrate the growth of our District. Our School Opening Mass committee was excited to be witness to the increasing attendance at our mass. The committee explored the idea of an additional spiritual and sacred space to begin the school year in communion with one another. With much thought and consideration, it was decided to celebrate Mass in four (4) faith communities- St. Charles Church, Corpus Christi Church, St. Thomas More Church and St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral. The capacity of each church was important and taken into consideration. We are grateful and sincerely appreciate the hospitality of these four parishes as they welcome us into their communities.
Click here for more information
The 2017-2018 School Opening Mass will take place in four (4) faith communities:
Location: Please click on the above link for a list of schools and sites to verify which parish your school or site has been designated:
- St. Charles Parish (17511-112 Street NW) - Archbishop Sylvain Lavoie presiding
- Corpus Christi Parish (2704-34 Street NW) - Bishop Gregory Bittman presiding
- St. Thomas More Parish (210 Haddow Close NW) - Archbishop Richard Smith presiding
- St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral (10825-97 Street NW) - Bishop David Motiuk presiding
This year you will have the option of celebrating the Divine Liturgy, in English, at St. Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral.
When: Thursday, August 31, 2017. Seating begins at 8:15 a.m. and program begins at 8:55 a.m.
Each parish recommends carpooling.
2017-2018 Offertory Collection:
For this year’s offertory collection, the School Opening Mass Committee selected two (2) initiatives.
The Marian Centre
· The Marian Centre serves the needy in the Edmonton community. They serve a hot lunch, distribute bagged lunches and provide clothes and small household items to those in need.
Development and Peace
· The Canadian Catholic Organization for Development and Peace supports partners in the global south who are working for justice, and educate Canadians about the root causes of injustice.
If you have any questions regarding the School Opening Mass, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to sharing this day with you.