The Official and Second Languages Education Centre
The establishment of OL2
EC provides our students with new opportunities to discover, develop and appreciate the power of a second language in today's world.
How it Works
- International Languages Proficiency provides our students with credentials that can be used to gain entrance to universities locally and abroad and will enhance future career opportunities.
- The use of Language Portfolios provides the means for our students to accumulate evidence of their second language development.
Goals of OL2EC
- To offer internationally recognized certification to students registered in our second language programs;
- To strengthen our French as a Second Language (FSL), English as a Second Language (ESL), and International Language programs by monitoring students’ progress through the use of qualitative and quantitative information and data;
- To provide each student in a language program with a self assessment tool that captures their language development progress;
- To provide new and exciting learning opportunities for our students that will encourage them to continue in a language program and to allow them to excel in language acquisition thus equipping them to better meet the challenges awaiting them globally;
- To create and foster new international partnerships with other education entities in Alberta, across Canada and around the world; and
- To use the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL) and European Language Portfolio (ELP) as a basis for this work.
- Council of Europe: Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL), European Language Portfolio
- French National Ministry of Education
- Centre international d’Etudes Pédagogiques (CIEP) in Sèvres, France
- Spain Ministry of Education
- Instituto Cervantes, Calgary, Alberta
- Cambridge University (ESOL Suite of Exams)
- University of Lviv (Ukraine)
For further information, please contact the International Languages Consultant at Learning Services – Innovation (780-989-3000).