Junior All City Band Concert for 2017 – Dec 6, 2017
Junior All City Band Concert for 2018 - Jun 6, 2018
Senior All City Band Concert for 2017 - Dec 5, 2017
Senior All City Band Concert for 2018 - Jun 5, 2018
Band Share Day for 2018 – Mar 6, 2018
Edmonton Catholic Schools Senior All City Band
Edmonton Catholic Schools Senior All City Band is a music enrichment program within the Edmonton Catholic School District. The group has been in existence since its formation by Mr. Frank Dunnigan in 1967. Currently the band is under the direction of Mr. Arthur Milan, Secondary Music Consultant for Edmonton Catholic Schools.
The ensemble is a full concert band of 52 students with a balanced instrumentation. Membership is open to all students in the Catholic School District who are enrolled in their school music program. Prospective band members are auditioned by the director in order to ensure a minimum level of competency and to determine section leaders and seating.
- provides a musical environment of musical excellence
- provides a community of students committed to music
- gathers together students who have similar interests
- ensures rehearsals run an efficient and professional manner
- provides venues for public performance
- encourage private study
- introduces students to musical compositions of high quality
- works in conjunction with school program and their teachers
- is not a replacement for the school program
- does offer high school credit for Music 15-25-35
- provides a balanced band
- competes in music festivals in Alberta / Saskatchewan
- on occasion travels within Alberta / Saskatchewan
Among the approximately 1500 alumni are
- school music teachers
- private music teachers
- professional symphony musicians
- professional jazz musicians
- university music professors
- professional rock and country musicians
- doctors, lawyers, scientists, writers, and other professional people
- homemakers, construction workers and other skilled people
Second generation plays are now playing with the band.
There is no fee for membership; however the band accepts tax deductible donations from parents, alumni and others. Parental donations are not necessary for membership.
Edmonton Catholic Schools Junior All City Band
The Edmonton Catholic School District Junior All-City Band was originally organized as an honor group to perform at the ECS Celebration of the Arts. Afterwards the decision was made to continue the junior all-city band to provide interested students the opportunity to perform in a larger ensemble at an advanced performance level. This band is offered each year as an enrichment program within our district with the support of district band teachers, parents, the music consultant and ECS administrators.
Currently the band is made up of 55 students under the direction of Julie Scott . These students are exceptional members of their school music programs. They have been recommended by their school music teachers, and then auditioned by the band’s conductor. The Edmonton Catholic School district supports the band by making the band director position part of the teaching assignment for the conductor.
The conductor’s position is a two year term and all band teachers with a continuous contract can apply; in this way the junior all city band also provides professional development opportunities to district staff. The band therefore serves a dual purpose, providing an opportunity for our gifted and talented students to enrich their instrumental music education, and for our teachers to practice, hone and advance their skills and knowledge as either the band director or as guest conductors.