Dear Parents and Guardians,
In late January, the World Health Organization had declared a public health emergency of international concern over the global outbreak of coronavirus now known as COVID-19. The World Health Organization has identified over 60,000 confirmed cases worldwide, in this rapidly evolving health crisis. At this point there are seven confirmed cases in Canada.
To ensure the continued health and safety of our staff and students, we are taking the following preventative measures:
- Our custodians have increased their cleaning and sanitizing practices at all schools and sites in the Edmonton Catholic School Division.
- Custodians are sanitizing all high-touch areas in our schools to help prevent the spread of germs.
- Custodians will wipe down/sanitize door hardware, handrails, drinking fountains, telephones in common areas and other high-touch areas as they move throughout their schools.
According to Alberta Health Services, the Coronavirus is an airborne virus with symptoms similar to influenza and other respiratory illnesses ranging from common to severe respiratory illnesses including:
- Difficulty breathing;
To help protect against all respiratory illnesses, including the flu and coronavirus, we encourage you to practice and share these tips with your family:
- Use good hygiene practices such as frequent hand washing with soap and water;
- Use hand sanitizer that is 60% alcohol-based if soap and water are not available;
- Stay at home and away from others if you are feeling ill;
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue;
- Contact 811 Health Link if you have questions or concerns about your health.
We continue to monitor this evolving health crisis and we will continue to update you as needed.
If you have reason to believe that you may have the coronavirus, please contact 811 Health Link and Employee Health Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or on the Employee Health Services line at 780-441-6125.