Due to extenuating circumstances the Edmonton Catholic Board of Trustees has extended the receipt date for applications to February 23, 2020 as you will see in the revised electronic advertisement. You will also note that duties will commence September 1, 2020 or as mutually agreed.
Candidate Profile and Leadership Quality Standards.pdf
Role of the Superintendent.pdf
Superintendent of Schools - Application Information
With the announced retirement of its chief executive officer, Edmonton Catholic Schools is now seeking a successor. Duties will commence September 1, 2020 or as mutually agreed.
The Superintendent of the Edmonton Catholic Separate School Division is responsible for the administration of the second largest Catholic school division in Alberta with 95 schools within the City of Edmonton. With a budget of almost 528 million dollars, this publicly funded School Division educates over 44,000 students, from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
Our Division’s foundation is expressed within our Mission Statement which includes our beliefs, our Vision, the Eight Characters of Catholic Education and our Core Values.
The Division, an Alberta Top 75 Employer, has a reputation for excellence in student achievement, strong administrative leadership as well as a well-defined governance function for the Board.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Superintendent’s primary mandate and key leadership role includes:
- Enhancing the development of the Division based upon Micah 6:8; to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with our God;
- Promoting a vibrant Catholic and spiritual climate and culture in the Division;
- Ensuring a strong connection with the Catholic Archdiocese of Edmonton and the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton;
- Working with the Council of Elders in addressing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action;
- Enhancing educational programs and services, the efficient use of resources and the effective performance of personnel, on a continuous basis;
- Providing guidance and support to the Board of Trustees particularly with respect to strategic planning;
- Providing the Board with timely, accurate Accountability Reports that address all relevant Board policy;
- Nurturing an organization which is principled, rational, collaborative, self-disciplined and innovative.
The successful candidate will be...
- An active, practicing Catholic who is strongly committed to Catholic education;
- A knowledgeable educator and results-focused leader, dedicated to instructional and academic excellence, and respectful of Indigenous cultures;
- An effective communicator, team builder, problem-solver and visionary;
- An administrator with a minimum of 15 years relevant experience in the field of education and with experience at a senior administrative level;
- Experienced in working with government departments, and with Boards and committees;
- In possession of a relevant Master’s degree; In possession of, or prepared to obtain, the Alberta Education Superintendent Leadership Quality Standard designation.
The competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. Applications received by February 23, 2020 are assured of careful consideration. Email a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a list of at least three recent references, plus one current pastoral reference to:
Mr. Terry Gunderson, Alberta School Boards Association