Laura Thibert is currently serving her second term representing Ward 77. Laura was elected as a trustee for Edmonton Catholic Schools in October 2010 and re-elected in October 2013.
Laura was elected as Board Chair for the 2016-2017 year, the fourth of the four year electoral term for Trustees.
Laura is a Graduate from MacEwan University; Voluntary Sector Management and Non-Profit Agency Management. Laura is currently taking courses through Athabasca University towards a Leadership Certificate. Laura is also enrolled in courses at Newman Theological College with a focus on Catholic Education including Catholic Schools Governance and Issues in Catholic Education.As a Trustee
Laura has served as Board Vice-Chair and is currently the Board Chair. In her role as Vice-Chair Laura chaired the Board's Planning Committee (Governance and Priorities).Committees of the Board
Laura has served the Board on a variety of Committees and the Committee of the Whole including the Board Governance and Priorities Committee, and the Audit and Finance Committee.
Other internal committees Laura has serviced include: The Board Policy Development and Review Committee, the Board Development Committee, and the Board Public Engagement Committee.
Laura has also served as the Board's representative on the District's Alberta Teachers' Association Negotiations Team.External Committees
Laura has served as the Board's representative on the Alberta Catholic School Trustees' Association and as the Board's Representative on the Alberta School Boards Association's Zone 2/3. Laura currently sits on the ASBA Zone 2/3 Second Language Caucus. Laura is a Senator on Newman Theological College, representing the Board.Volunteer Interests
- Member of the Catholic Women's League (CWL)
- Member of the Corpis Christi Roman Catholic Parish and is currently a lector
- Past president for St. Kateri Catholic Elementary School Parent Advisory Committee
- The Meadows Community league, past Children's Program Director; Secretary, and Vice-President
- Vice-President for the Meadows Community League Board
- Member of the Mill Woods Youth Council and Constituency Board
- Member of the Early Childhood EC Mapping coalition for South East Edmonton and Mill Woods
- Red Shoe Society – leaders in the community who support the Ronald McDonald House
- School Council Chair for four years
As a governor and a mother of four children, I believe in the distinctiveness of Catholic education. I am committed to making decisions that are based on what is best for our children and that are based on our faith. I am committed to be an ambassador for the Board of Trustees and the District that embodies all that Catholic education is and has been for over 125 years in Edmonton Catholic Schools.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." – Nelson MandelaContact Information:
Schools in Ward 77
- Father Michael Troy
- Mary Hanley
- Frere Antoine
- St. Clement
- Holy Family
- St. Elizabeth
- Holy Trinity
- St. Hilda
- J. H. Picard
- St. Kateri
- John Paul I
- St. Richard