Pastoral Letter PDF
September 17th, 2017
The Ministry of Catholic School Trustee
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
In preparation for municipal elections, which include the election of school trustees, the Bishops of Alberta have in the past offered a reflection on the ministry of a Catholic school trustee. As we approach the municipal elections of October 2017, we do so once again.
We strongly encourage your participation in the electoral process. In this letter, we propose the following considerations to guide your discernment of the appropriate candidate for the office of school trustee.
- The trustee is one to whom is entrusted by the Church and the electorate the serious responsibility of an essentially Catholic governance and oversight of our Catholic school districts.
- This demands of our trustees that they be not only stewards with exceptional governance skills but also people of faith and commitment to the Church and her mission.
- As trustees are carefully attentive to the wishes of the constituents and the mandates of Alberta Education, they must be committed to ensuring that their every decision will always accord with the truth of the Gospel and the teaching of the Church.
- The Catholic school trustee must possess attributes consistent with faith in Christ. Trustees are first and foremost disciples of Our Lord. Their love of Jesus will be reflected in full participation in the life of the Church and engagement in the community.
- The Catholic school trustee must at all times demonstrate fidelity to the Church, its teaching and its leaders. This enables the board of trustees and the local Church to think with one mind and work together in ministry to our students.
- The willingness and ability to share the faith with administration, teachers, students and the community is an essential feature of a Catholic school trustee.
As Catholics, we have a sacred duty and obligation to make an informed, moral choice in the selection of representatives of the community who will guide and govern, protect and maintain our Catholic schools. It is incumbent upon us to select leaders who will ensure the continued formation of our school communities in the values and teachings of our Lord as taught through our Church. We encourage you to exercise this responsibility in a spirit of prayer and in accord with an informed conscience.
Catholic Bishops of Alberta and NWT
|Most Reverend Richard W. Smith
Archbishop of Edmonton ||Most Reverend William McGrattan
Bishop of Calgary |
|Most Reverend Gregory J. Bittman
Auxiliary Bishop of Edmonton ||Most Reverend Gerard Pettipas CSsR
Archbishop Grouard-McLennan |
|Most Reverend David Motiuk
Bishop of the Ukrainian Eparchy of Edmonton ||Most Reverend Mark Hagemoen
Bishop of Mackenzie-Fort Smith |
|Most Reverend Paul Terrio
Bishop of St. Paul |