Edmonton Catholic Schools is committed to offering exceptional and diverse programming options throughout the Division that will meet the individual learning needs of each student. We strive to engage and inspire students to reach their greatest potential.
Edmonton Catholic Schools will be offering online synchronous (real-time instruction) education for Kindergarten to Grade 12, including French Immersion Grades 4 to 9 for the 2021-2022 school year. This is the Divisions program of choose for students requiring full time pure online learning. Students will be learning online (real-time instruction) and follow a schedule that requires active attendance and participation throughout the day.
To explore if synchronous online instruction is right for your child and for the specific course offerings/schedules of our Online schools, please contact your child’s school or visit our website ECSD.net/online. Students will receive teacher collaboration and support through online platform(s) during scheduled office hours 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.
Revelation Online offers a unique approach to online learning where high school students can participate in an independent asynchronous virtual learning environment from their home. Online learning can be a great choice for many students for a number of reasons including access to a greater variety of courses and the ability to work at their own pace, before and after scheduled school hours.
It must be noted that teacher support will only be available during scheduled school hours (8:30 am – 3:30pm). Asynchronous online learning is different from traditional face-to-face learning. It is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of asynchronous online learning choosing online learning platform that meets your needs.
For more information about Revelations Online asynchronous online learning and if this program meets your needs continue to access the following information listed here.
Register now for Q4 Revelation Online! Phone: (780) 670-2940
*Summer School and the 2021-2022 school year registrations will be opening soon, please check back.*
Advantages of Asynchronous Online Teaching:
- Asynchronous classroom instructional strategies promote significantly higher cognitive student learning outcomes than non-asynchronous instructional strategies
- Students have time to process ideas and concepts and to develop their own in-depth thinking
- Pacing of this type of learning is flexible and students can work more at their own pace and in their own time frame (i.e., not a specific 'class time')
- Discussions can take place with students in different locations and time-zones
Disadvantages of Asynchronous Online Teaching:
- Students may have mixed, polarized feelings about asynchronous instruction, and may require stronger motivation, self-regulatory and time management skills
- Students may struggle initially to adjust to the asynchronous classroom, to perceive the value of interactive asynchronous learning approaches, and might have difficulty staying organized without regular faculty contact
- Lack of non-verbal cues and social context cues
- Responses to comments/questions are not immediate after school hour
Here you will find more information on many aspects of Revelation Online, click on the image to find out more information.
Click on the image below and view the helpful pdf document from Alberta Education to learn more about the characteristics of a successful online learner and the parental checklist for what their child needs to be successful for online learning.