Edmonton Catholic Schools Online Learning Information
Edmonton Catholic Schools is committed to offering exceptional and diverse programming options throughout the Division that will meet the individual learning needs of each student. We strive to engage and inspire students to reach their greatest potential.
Edmonton Catholic Schools will be offering online synchronous (real-time instruction) education for Kindergarten to Grade 12, including French Immersion Grades 4 to 9 for the 2021-2022 school year. This is the Division's program of choice for students requiring full time pure online learning. Students will be learning online (real-time instruction) and follow a schedule that requires active attendance and participation throughout the day.
To explore if synchronous online instruction is right for your child and for the specific course offerings/schedules of our Online schools, please contact your child’s school or visit our website ECSD.net/online. Students will receive teacher collaboration and support through online platform(s) during scheduled office hours 8:30 am to 3:30 pm.
Revelation Online Information
Revelation Online offers a unique approach to online learning in which high school students can participate in an independent, asynchronous virtual learning environment from their home. Online learning can be a great choice for many students for a number of reasons including access to a greater variety of courses and the ability to work at their own pace, before and after scheduled school hours.
It must be noted that teacher support will only be available during scheduled school hours (8:30 am – 3:30pm). Asynchronous online learning is different from traditional face-to-face learning. It is important to understand the advantages and disadvantages of asynchronous online learning choosing online learning platform that meets your needs.
Are you eligible for registration?
- We do accept part-time High School Students attending other high schools that need credits that may not fit in their schedule or are not available at their school.
- Accepting part-time and full-time Graduates/Adult Students.
- Accepting part-time and full-time International Students.
If you are a high school student requiring full-time online learning, please contact your child’s school or visit our website ECSD.net/online.
For more information about Revelation Online asynchronous online learning and if this program meets your needs continue to access the information listed here.
Register now for Q4 Revelation Online! Phone: 780 670-2940
Deadline for quarter 4 registration is on Wednesday, April 28th at 4 pm
Please note space is limited and registration can be closed earlier if capacity is reached.
Advantages of Asynchronous Online Teaching:
- Asynchronous classroom instructional strategies promote significantly higher cognitive student learning outcomes than non-asynchronous instructional strategies
- Students have time to process ideas and concepts and to develop their own in-depth thinking
- Students have greater control over their schedule
- Pacing of this type of learning is flexible and students can work more at their own pace and in their own time frame (i.e., not a specific 'class time')
- Learning can take place with students in different locations and time-zones
Disadvantages of Asynchronous Online Teaching:
- Students may have mixed, polarized feelings about asynchronous instruction, and may require stronger motivation, self-regulation and time management skills
- Students may struggle initially to adjust to the asynchronous classroom, to perceive the value of interactive asynchronous learning approaches, and might have difficulty staying organized without regular faculty contact
- During online learning students cannot rely on non-verbal cues and social context cues
- Responses to comments/questions may not be addressed immediately after hours
Here you will find more information on many aspects of Revelation Online, click on the image to find out more information.