Enhanced Academic Program
Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) Rationale
Cardinal Léger Junior High School is a designated district site for the delivery of th Enhanced Academic Program. This program, using the Alberta Program of Studies, will prepare students to acquire the knowledge, concepts, and skills needed to engage in a higher level of learning.
More specifically, the program works towards developing the skills, academic self-discipline and the concepts necessary to continue in an enriched academic program at the high school level with anticipated entry into a university and/or college of their choice.
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) is based on the following two principles:
The first is the expectation that students perform at rigorous academic levels. To reflect this, the curriculum will challenge students to expand their knowledge and skills at a higher level.
The second principle is the belief that, as early as possible, through the development of skills, acquisition of knowledge and engagement in their learning students can be prepared for increased academic commitment.
The Cardinal Léger Junior High School Enhanced Academic Program will:
- Comprehensively cover and extend curriculum, as well as enrich specific learner outcomes as outlined in the Program of Studies for each subject.
- Using inquiry-based learning, problem-based learning and community service, provide for an engaging and challenging learning environment.
- Include the incorporation of a global viewpoint from our faith-based, Catholic perspective that is founded on our social justice service towards others, which underscores the permeation of our values as we instill skills of responsibility and positive citizenship in our world.
EAP will be offered in the following subject areas:
- Grade 7-9 English Language Arts
- Grade 7-9 Mathematics
- Grade 7-9 Social Studies
- Grade 7-9 Science
Enhanced Academic Program Standards
Students in Grade 6 applying to the Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) at Cardinal Leger Junior High:
- Indicate Cardinal Leger Junior High as your requested school in the Returning Student Registration 2021-2022 in PowerSchool.
- Parents/Guardians complete the EAP Applicant Information Sheet.pdf
- Student completes the EAP Student Rationale Form.pdf
- Email both the completed EAP Application Information Sheet and the EAP Student Rationale Form to email@example.com with EAP Application - Student's Name in the subject line.
- Communicate with your child's current teacher to complete EAP Teacher Support Document.pdf
- Ask your child's current teacher to email the completed EAP Teacher Support Document and a current ELA writing sample (narrative, essay, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with EAP Application - Student's Name in the subject line.
Deadline for current Cardinal Leger students to apply for the EAP program is September 8, 2021. Applications past this date will not be accepted.
Submissions are due March 8, 2021. Space for the Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) are limited and families will be notified by the office of your child's acceptance into the program by late March.