Commitment to Second Language Instruction
Cardinal Léger School is a highly academic school that is focused on preparing students to gain the knowledge and skills to work in an ever increasing global market. To that end, each student at Cardinal Leger School studies a minimum of one second language which is mandatory in grade 7 and available in grades 8 and 9. Offering our students the opportunity to learn multiple second languages will afford them increased opportunities in their future.
Italian Language and Culture District Program
As the Edmonton Catholic School District site for the Italian Language and Culture Program any student interested in enrolling their child in this program will be able to do so regardless of catchment areas and residential address.
Second Languages . . .
In addition to offering the Italian Language and Culture District Program, we also offer French as a Second Language.
As part of their complementary course instruction, students are able to select not only one, but two languages should they wish to. Each language is offered in a different section, as such students could potentially take both languages. The choice is theirs.
Benefits to Students
Learning a second language leads to. . .
- enhanced learning in both the student’s primary language and in related areas of cognitive development and knowledge acquisition, as well as, development of increase grammatical abilities in the first language
- Increased awareness of and sensitivity to cultural and linguistic diversity
- Improved potential to be more competitive when entering the workforce
- Increased opportunities to communicate directly with people from other language groups and gain a deeper insight into their culture
- Enhanced cognitive functioning particularly increased ability to conceptualize and to think abstractly; more cognitive flexibility; and greater divergent thinking, creativity and meta linguistic competence.
The delivery of instruction in these language programs will be hands on and interactive in its approach. We will emphasize authentic learning that comes from active involvement and with the aim of developing an appreciation for the people, the history, the geography, music and most of all the richness of the language.