Matt Davidson - Hockey Director
Matt Davidson joins St. Benedict as the Director of the Hockey Academy after a fifteen-year professional hockey playing career.
- His playing career includes numerous years in the American League and Europe as well as parts of three seasons in the NHL with the Columbus Blue Jackets.
- Upon retiring after seven years of playing in some of Europe’s top leagues, Matt completed his Bachelor of Education degree at the University of Alberta and is currently one of the grade six teachers at St. Benedict.
- Matt has been a minor hockey coach with Whitemud West as well as teaching power-skating and hockey skills.
Ian Gordan - Goalie Specialist
St. Benedict is excited to welcome back Ian Gordon as our goalie specialist.
- Ian brings a wealth of professional playing and coaching experience to the academy. He provides high quality, experienced goalie training.
- As a goalie, Ian played extensively in the American and International Hockey Leagues as well as backstopping championship teams in Germany’s top league.
- He is currently the goalie coach for various junior teams including the Seattle Thunderbirds of the Western Hockey League.
- Ian has also been involved with Hockey Canada’s development program and will be continue to be an invaluable member of the STB Hockey Academy’s instructional staff.
The STB Hockey Academy is proud to have Coach Kyle as part of the academy staff.
- A decorated junior and NCAA player, Kyle brings a strong technical background to the Academy.
- As an instructor at some of the best Hockey Development Schools in Western Canada, Kyle relates exceptionally well to the students in the Academy.
- Kyle is adept at helping athletes make the corrections they need to excel as players.
- A certified cross-fit trainer, Kyle also leads the off-ice conditioning program at STB Hockey Academy.
- Coach Kyle pushes students to high levels of achievement and is a positive role model for the students at St. Benedict.
- Paul Manning brings a decorated playing and coaching experience to the STB Hockey Academy.
- After a successful NCAA career at Colorado College, Paul began a professional playing career that included time in NHL with the Columbus Blue Jackets and ten years in the top German League.
- As a defenceman, Paul brings an extremely high level of understanding of both the positional and mental aspects of the position. A dedicated hockey instructor, Paul also spends time at both MTC and STFX Hockey Academy’s.
Brian Shakel is a fixture in the Edmonton and area skill development scene.
- A passionate instructor, Brian brings a wealth of knowledge of the mechanics of skating and skill development to the STB Hockey Academy.
- He is the owner of "Making Stridz" as well as a head instructor at NAX Hockey Academy as well as many other associations.
- Making Stridz Athlete Development was founded by Brian Shackel.
- Brian is a graduate from the University of Manitoba with a Masters Degree in Sports Biomechanics and a Bachelors Degree in Exercise and Sports Science.