The physical education program emphasizes active living, with a focus on physical activity that is valued and integrated into daily life.
Active living through physical education:
• creates a desire to participate
• focuses on lifetime activities promoting health-related fitness for life
• is about physical activity; and the nature, form, frequency and intensity of the activity are relative to each person’s ability, needs aspirations and environment
• places physical activity within a broader perspective of total fitness and well-being that encompasses the entire experience of movement—physical, mental, emotional and social dimensions
• is enhanced through opportunities to participate in such activities as intramural and interschool athletics and community-based sport and recreation activities
• is centred around learner needs; inclusive, individual and varied
• is supported when opportunities for making choices are provided
• is supportive of the relevance of physical activity within the community.