What is French Immersion?
- A program that allows students to spend a large part of their day learning a second language.
- Students learn all of their core subjects (math, social studies, science and FLA) in French.
- Students learn to appreciate a culture different from their own.
What are the benefits of being bilingual?
- Enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
- Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves a child's understanding of his/her native language.
- Gives a child the ability to communicate with people he/she would otherwise not have the chance to know.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps a child understand and appreciate people from other cultures.
- Gives a student a head start in language requirements for post secondary education.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.
What are the benefits of knowing a second language for the future?
- Students have access to a greater number of career possibilities and develop a deeper understanding of their own and other cultures.
- Some evidence also suggests that children who receive second language instruction are more creative and better at solving complex problems.
- Students with a second language are better able to participate in the global community, this increasing economic competitiveness abroad, improving global communication, and maintaining our political and security interests.
As a parent/guardian how can I help my child who is enrolled in this program?
- Encourage your child to speak French.
- Show him/her that you value the ability to speak French.
- Attend cultural events that feature music, dance or food from the country or countries where French is spoken.
- Provide some books, videos or other materials in French.