Enhanced Academic Program
***Some criteria may be revised in the coming months to reflect the challenges inherent in online learning. SJT wants to ensure that all grade 6 students who meet the requirements for EAP are afforded the opportunity to join the program when they register for grade 7 at Sir John Thompson School.***
Grade 6 Video-
NEW - EAP - Social Studies. Check out our Immigration Interview Project by clicking on the link below!
EAP Program Information - EAP Handbill 2020.pdf
Sir John Thompson Catholic Junior High School is a designated site in Edmonton Catholic Schools District for the delivery of the Enhanced Academic Program. Using the Alberta Program of Studies, EAP will prepare students to acquire the knowledge, concepts, and skills needed to engage in a higher level of learning. More specifically, the program works towards developing the skills, academic self-discipline and the concepts necessary to continue in an enhanced academic program at the high school level with anticipated entry into a university and/or college of their choice.
Students who will be successful in this program can perform at rigorous academic levels and enjoy being challenged to expand their knowledge and skills.
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) will:
- Extend curriculum and enrich Alberta Education's specific learner outcomes in Language Arts, Mathematics, and Social Studies
- Provide an engaging and challenging learning environment that utilizes inquiry-based and problem-solving learning strategies
- Incorporate a faith-based global perspective that focuses on the Catholic vocation to social justice
- Engage students in exercises that challenge them to think critically, see things from different perspectives, respond creatively to universal questions, and acquire knowledge from interesting and unique sources
Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) students are:
- Eager to be challenged
- Able to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Highly self-directed
- Curious about many things and interested in learning about them
- Analytical about their own education and open to personal growth as a learner
- Prepared to work collegially with their peers
- Willing to develop public speaking and presentation skills
The first is the expectation that students perform at rigorous academic levels. To reflect this, the curriculum will challenge students to expand their knowledge and skills at a higher level.
The second tenet is the belief that, as early as possible, through the development of skills, acquisition of knowledge and engagement in their learning students can be prepared for increased academic commitment.
The EAP Program is designed for students who demonstrate strength in three skill set areas: Academic, Attitudinal and Behavioral. EAP is offered in the following subject areas for the 2020-2021 school year:
Grade 7, 8, and 9 English Language Arts
Grade 7, 8, and 9 Mathematics
- Grade 7, 8 and 9 Social Studies
- Grade 7 and 8 Science