Enhanced Academic Program (EAP)
Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) Open House (NEW) (virtual) – Thursday, February 11th, 2021, 6:30pm.
See below for how to register for EAP.
Click here to view our EAP Information Night Presentation
The evening will begin at 6:30 p.m. and consist of a 30-40 minute presentation followed by a Live Questions and Answer portion of the evening. We anticipate that the evening will end between 7:30 and 8:00 pm depending on the number of questions we receive. We are looking forward to showcasing all the EAP at Sir John Thompson has to offer!
If you have any questions after watching our presentation please feel free to contact us at the school and we will be happy to provide you with information.
Thank you for watching everyone!
Please view the questions below that were brought forward during our EAP virtual open house
Please click on the link below to view our welcome letter to new Parents, Guardians and students!
- Welcome Letter-Open Houses Info 2021.pdf
- For more information and to view our PAT results please click on this link
Students in Grade 6 applying to the Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) at Sir John Thompson Junior High:
***For ECSD students***
*For Edmonton Public please go to #2*
1. Indicate Sir John Thompson Junior High as your requested school in the Returning Student 2021-2022 in Powerschool.
2. Parents/Guardians and students please complete the Student Statement of Rationale and Parent Permission.docx and email to the Vice Principal below or make an appointment to come into the office to drop off.
3. Parents/Guardians ask your child's current teacher to complete the Teacher Support Form.docx and email to the Vice Principal below or make an appointment to come into the office to drop off. In some instances the teacher may submit this form on your behalf. This is acceptable as long as we receive both forms.
When applying to the EAP program please fill out the Student Statement of Rationale and Parent Permission Form and have your child's teacher fill out the Teacher Support Form and send to: email@example.com by March 19, 2021.
NEW - EAP - Social Studies. Check out our Immigration Interview Project by clicking on the link below!
EAP Program Information - EAP Division Information
ENHANCED ACADEMIC PROGRAM (EAP) RATIONAL
Sir John Thompson Catholic Junior High School is a designated site in Edmonton Catholic Schools District for the delivery of the Enhanced Academic Program. Using the Alberta Program of Studies, EAP will prepare students to acquire the knowledge, concepts, and skills needed to engage in a higher level of learning. More specifically, the program works towards developing the skills, academic self-discipline and the concepts necessary to continue in an enhanced academic program at the high school level with anticipated entry into a university and/or college of their choice.
Students who will be successful in this program can perform at rigorous academic levels and enjoy being challenged to expand their knowledge and skills.
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) will:
- Extend curriculum and enrich Alberta Education's specific learner outcomes in Language Arts, Mathematics, and Social Studies
- Provide an engaging and challenging learning environment that utilizes inquiry-based and problem-solving learning strategies
- Incorporate a faith-based global perspective that focuses on the Catholic vocation to social justice
- Engage students in exercises that challenge them to think critically, see things from different perspectives, respond creatively to universal questions, and acquire knowledge from interesting and unique sources
Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) students are:
- Eager to be challenged
- Able to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Highly self-directed
- Curious about many things and interested in learning about them
- Analytical about their own education and open to personal growth as a learner
- Prepared to work collegially with their peers
- Willing to develop public speaking and presentation skills
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) is based on the following two tenets:
The first is the expectation that students perform at rigorous academic levels. To reflect this, the curriculum will challenge students to expand their knowledge and skills at a higher level.
The second tenet is the belief that, as early as possible, through the development of skills, acquisition of knowledge and engagement in their learning students can be prepared for an increased academic commitment.
The EAP Program is designed for students who demonstrate strength in three skill set areas: Academic, Attitudinal and Behavioral. EAP is offered in the following subject areas for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Grade 7, 8, and 9 English Language Arts
- Grade 7, 8, and 9 Mathematics
- Grade 7, 8 and 9 Social Studies
- Grade 7, and 8 and 9 Science