WELCOME TO OUR LADY OF MOUNT CARMEL!
WE HAVE A LOT TO OFFER AND WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOU JOIN OUR SCHOOL FAMILY!
Our Lady of Mount Carmel is a very unique school with many attractive opportunities. With our various academies (from grade 3-9) or regular program (from Kindergarten to gr. 9), we provide choice in programming for our students. If you are interested in having your K-9 child attend our school, you may wish to contact me to inquire if Mount Carmel is the right choice for her or for him. We are proud of our students and their commitment to helping out in our community.
Patrick Lema, Principal; Patrick.Lema@ecsd.net
Our mission is to provide a quality education which embodies the Catholic Faith principles of nurturing, acceptance, respect, joy, and love.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel School serves a large part of the south side of Edmonton. This includes the nearby communities of:
- Queen Alexander
- Park Allen
Students attending our Academies also come from other neighbourhoods in south Edmonton.
- Elementary and junior high school with a small school family environment
- Kindergarten with Full-Day Programming (Kindergarten & Extensions)
- Academies - Hockey (Gr 3-9), Soccer (Gr 3-9), Recreation (Gr 7-9)
- Elite Athlete Program (Gr 4-9)
- Enhanced Academic Programming for Junior High core subjects
- Elem Music Program and Junior High Band
- Junior High Food & Fashion Lab
- Sports Performance Centre
- Fitness Training Centre
- Semestered Junior High Complementary courses
- Up-to-date technological resources that support learning
- Active School Council
- Strong liaison with St. Anthony Parish
- "Just'n Out of School" before and after school care (780) 919-7471
Our School Name
Mount Carmel is a mountain spur projecting into the sea south of Haifa, Israel. Its bold outline can be seen for many miles. The name means "garden" or "orchard". Mount Carmel became a refuge for early Christian hermits and monks. In about 1156 the Order of Carmelites was founded and a monastery was built to the honour of St. Mary of Mount Carmel.
Devotion to Our Lady of Mount Carmel spread throughout Europe by the returning Crusaders and by members of the Carmelite Order. Notable shrines and churches were founded in honour of Mary under the title of Carmel or Carmen. In England in 1251 the Virgin appeared to St. Simon Stock, Prior General of the Order of Mount Carmel. According to tradition, Our Lady promised special blessings to all that wore the Carmelite scapular which signified total dedication to her Son, Jesus Christ. Honour to Our Lady of Mount Carmel is worldwide.
The Prayer to Our Lady of Mount Carmel is: Lord let the motherly prayer of the glorious virgin come to our help. Through her support help us reach the true mount which is Jesus Christ. Amen