French Immersion is designed for students whose parents whose heritage is other than French. Parents typically do not speak French. Early French Immersion registers students at the Kindergarten or Grade One level. For the 2010-2011 school year, our French Immersion program will expand to include Kindergarten through Grade six.
The Goal of the French Immersion Program are
- a high proficiency in English,
- a functional fluency in French,
- a mastery of the skills and abilities in all other subjects.
French Immersion is Set Up as Follows:
- The language of communication between home and school is English. French Immersion students experience French in a meaningful context by using French as the language of learning in several or all subjects with the exception of English Language Arts.
- Because French is not the prevalent language in the community the child is given as many opportunities as possible to function using French. Students therefore acquire vocabulary during science, math and other subjects and learn literacy skills in French Language Arts.
- Students view their learning situation as normal given that their classmates are experiencing the same program.
The Following Families Should Consider Registering
- Students whose family is not French speaking.
- Students who do not know French. Instructional strategies and materials are designed with this in mind.
- Early Immersion is suitable for any child providing the program offers the same assistance as any English program would.
Frequently Asked Questions
Benefits of French Immersion
- Students learn to be excellent listeners as they have to pay close attention in order to understand what is occurring in the classroom.
- Students gain an understanding and appreciation of francophone cultures.
- Students are better equipped to learn a third or fourth language.
Useful Links Related to French Immersion
- Kindergarten in ECSD
- ECSD Transportation
- ECSD Registration
- Canadian Parents for French
- Alliance Française of Edmonton - Kids & Teens French Classes
- ACFA - Camp Lusson (French Summer Camp)