Our recognition program involves the following:
The names of those students who meet the Honours Criteria will be posted on the Honours Board in the school's main foyer. The criteria for this award is as follows:
- An average of 80% or more in the core subjects of language arts, social studies, science and mathematics.
- No mark less than 70% in any other course.
Students achieving an honours standing during a term will be acknowledged at a school-wide assembly and certificates will be awarded.
Year End School Awards
We present numerous awards and citations to students who demonstrate excellence, outstanding progress, or who have contributed in an exceptional way in making H. E. Beriault a better school. Year End awards are presented in the following areas:
- Honours Awards - Since marks are cumulative, third term marks will determine the year end award.
- Special Honours Award - given to grade 9 students who have achieved honours standings in all three of their junior high years.
- Fine Arts Award - presented to a student who excels in the discipline of Fine Arts (Art, Drama & Music).
- Subject Proficiency Awards - given to one student per grade for proficiency in the core subjects of Math, Language Arts, Science, & Social Studies, as well as Physical Education and option classes.
- Math Contest Award - awarded to the student who achieves the highest score in the Math contests H. E. Beriault participates in.
- Performance Awards - given to students who demonstrate consistent exceptional attitude, effort, perseverance and behavior in classroom performance and who completes the required Christian Service hours.
Perfect Attendance - given to students who do not have any absences or lates for the entire school year.
- Christian Service Award - teacher selected based on the student's contribution to Christian Service Program and completion of self-reflection
- Student Leadership - given to those students who serve on our Student Leadership team.
- English as a Second Language Award - presented to students for whom English is a second language, and who have excelled in their knowledge of the language. These students have, as well, reached out to help newcomers to Canada learn English.
- Athletic Awards - given to one male and one female outstanding athlete of the year.
- Most Improved Student in Grade 7 & 8 - presented to one student in grade 7 and one student in grade 8 who have made the greatest improvements in both their academic standing and attitude.
- Most Improved Student Award (Robert Kinahan Award) - presented to the student in grade 9 who has made the greatest improvement in both their academic standing and attitude.
- Perseverance Award (Bernice Jewell Award) - presented to the student in grade 7, 8, or 9 who exhibits a continued strong determination to succeed in school under very challenging circumstances.
- Alberta Centennial Award - presented to the one student in grade 9 who obtains the highest academic standing during the school year.
- Most Outstanding Student in Grade 7 & 8 - awarded to one student in grade 7 & one student in grade 8 who promotes a positive classroom atmosphere, displays significant academic achievement, shows consistent effort in all classes, shows responsible participation in and contribution to school activities, exemplified by service and friendship (student Leadership Team, clubs), displays a Christian attitude toward students and staff, displays a positive attitude toward learning and is a dedicated student.
Most Outstanding Student (Ardis Conlon Memorial Award) - awarded to one grade nine student from the school who promotes a positive classroom atmosphere, displays significant academic achievement, shows consistent effort in all classes, shows responsible participation in and contribution to school activities, exemplified by service and friendship (student Leadership Team, clubs), displays a Christian attitude toward students and staff, displays a positive attitude toward learning and is a dedicated student.