New Schools for ECSD
Edmonton Catholic Schools is pleased to share that as part of the Alberta government’s Budget 2022 announcement on March 4, 2022, we are receiving two projects that have been identified as critical infrastructure needs in our Division Capital Plan for multiple years.
Construction funding for a new Catholic High School in Castle Downs/Dunluce (design funding was previously announced in March 2021)
- Located west of the Castle Downs YMCA (153 Ave & 115 St)
- The anticipated opening date is September 2025
- Capacity of 1300
- Archbishop O’Leary Catholic High School currently has a utilization rate of 117%
Full funding for a new Catholic Elementary/Junior High School in Lewis Farms
- Located west of Winterburn Rd & east of 93 Ave
- Opening date to be determined
- Capacity of 950
- Bishop David Motiuk Catholic Elementary/Junior High School currently has a utilization rate of 125%
Edmonton Catholic Schools is appreciative to the Alberta government for its support for publicly funded Catholic education and its commitment to build new schools across Alberta to serve the needs of our communities.
“We are extremely thankful for these schools, both of which are critically needed to ease significant enrolment pressures in north and west Edmonton. Our current schools in those areas are overcrowded and students will benefit from vibrant new learning spaces to accommodate growing communities. Edmonton Catholic Schools is pleased the Alberta government has responded to our top two needs as outlined in our Capital Plan,” said Board Chair Sandra Palazzo.
The two new ECSD schools are part of 15 priority school projects announced by Education Minister Adriana LaGrange. Click here to read the news release.