Enhanced Academic Placement (EAP) Program
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) prepares students for high intellectual engagement by starting the development of skills and acquisition of knowledge as early as possible. The junior high years can provide a powerful opportunity for students to acquire the skills, habits of mind and concepts they need to engage in higher levels of learning. Students who will be successful in this program can perform at rigorous academic levels and enjoy being challenged to expand their knowledge and skills.
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) enhances:
- Knowledge Development and prepares students for mastery in foundational, subject-specific content.
- Character Development by developing honesty, integrity, and self-reliance through the application of their knowledge and skills.
- Community Engagement by enhancing their understanding of diverse communities and identifying connections that transcend difference.
Within EAP, students will develop and apply the Alberta Education Competencies, including critical thinking, problem-solving, managing information. Creativity and innovation, communication, collaboration, cultural and global citizenship and personal growth and well-being, which can lead towards successful learning, living, and working.
The EAP program prepares students for Advanced Placement courses in high school.
The Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) will:
- Extend curriculum and enrich Alberta Education's specific learner outcomes in Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science.
- Enrich student learning though a second language
- Provide an engaging and challenging learning environment that utilizes inquiry-based and problem-solving learning strategies
- Incorporate a faith-based global perspective that focuses on the Catholic vocation to social justice
- Engage students in exercises that challenge them to think critically, see things from different perspectives, respond creatively to universal questions, and acquire knowledge from interesting and unique sources
Enhanced Academic Program (EAP) students are:
- Eager to be challenged
- Able to complete tasks in a timely manner
- Highly self-directed
- Curious about many things and interested in learning about them
- Analytical about their own education and open to personal growth as a learner
- Prepared to work collegially with their peers
- Willing to develop public speaking and presentation skills
Registration Information (*Application to be done through Student Powerschool Login)
Application's are now closed - Deadline March 18th, 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Enhanced Academic Program different that the Alberta Education Program of Studies?
No, EAP is an enrichment of the Alberta Education's specific learner outcomes. Students will demonstrate mastery in foundational, subject-specific content and develop competencies in Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science. Students will enrich their learning through a second language.
Why should I consider the Enhanced Academic Program for my child?
EAP courses are designed to integrate the knowledge base of Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science to learn to think for themselves, solve problems creatively, collaborate and communicate effectively. EAP prepare students for high school enriched academic courses such as Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate Diploma and Honors programs.
How do I know if my child is a good candidate for the Enhanced Academic Program?
The EAP is designed for students who want:
- A more rigorous challenging program.
- To broaden their understanding of academic topics.
- To further develop and apply the Alberta Education Competencies in their learning.
- To continue to be socially responsible, life-long learners.
Are there entrance criteria for enrolling in the Enhanced Academic Program?
Yes, the criteria for entrance into the EAP established by the Edmonton Catholic School Division are divided into three skills set areas: Academic, Attitudinal, Behavioural and Compentency Based. Outlined below are the specific criteria within each of the three skill set areas. They are as follows:
Academic Skill Set:
- Reporting on Achievement
- Student achievement as determined by the student's report card demonstrates performance that has "Proficient Standard" and/or "Standard of Excellence" level of achievement in the respective subject areas
Attitudinal Skill Set:
- Has a strong work ethic and is motivated to work diligently
- Is eager, self-directed, and capable of handling the enhanced learning.
- Displays a positive attitude in the classroom and when interacting with peers.
- Welcomes new challenges and is inclined to be a problem solver.
- Has the ability to seek out alternate possibilities in a rational and logical manner.
Behavioural Skill Set:
- Has the ability to work independently.
- Has the ability to work as part of a team, when necessary.
- Has the ability to plan, organize, and carry out a task to completion.
- Possesses strong study and research skills.
- Demonstrates an intellectual inquisitiveness over a broad range of interests.
- Is reflective and deliberate in their thinking.
- Enjoys involvement in the extracurricular life of the school.
- Demonstrates potential and willingness to assume leadership.
- Has "proficient" to "excellent" oral and written communications skills
What is the purpose of the Teacher Reference document?
This process is put in place to ensure that a student considering EAP is a suitable candidate for the program based on past performance and the afore mentioned skill sets. As the receiving school, we consider the professional perspective of the teacher, as well as the report card.
Why do I have to give permission for my child to participate in the EAP?
Parental permission indicates that both the parent(s) and child have discussed the entrance criteria and verifies that they are familiar with and agree to follow the standards and expectations established for the EAP.
Application Deadline - Friday March 18th, 2022
***Application must be completed through the Student Powerschool Login
In addition to the EAP application, please fill out the grade appropriate Option Forms.