Grades 1-6 Information
In order to prepare our students to live in and contribute to a changing world and engage in active faith-filled, lifelong learning; St. John Bosco School provides an interactive and collaborative inquiry based learning environment that promotes higher level critical thinking utilizing real-world tools.
Programs – Core Academic Programs of Studies
Our goal at St. John Bosco School is to assist students to achieve their personal academic best. All teaching and learning aligns with the requirements of the Alberta Education Program of Studies. Core instruction includes Religion, Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Physical Education/Health, Art and Music instruction. French is considered a core subject and is mandatory from grades 4 to 6.
Curriculum Handbooks & Curriculum Summaries for Parents
Curriculum summaries, which include information about content taught in each grade and subject area, are available on the Alberta Education website: http://www.learnalberta.ca/content/mychildslearning/
Our School's Universal Design for Learning
Universal Design for Learning principles incorporate best practices in all areas of the curriculum and provide multiple, varied, and flexible options for student representation, expression and engagement.
- Universal Design for Learning with multiple technologies and platforms to support students.
- Diverse learning spaces designed to meet a variety of student needs and offer student choice.
- Flexibility in learning modalities based on a student's preferred learning style.
- Inquiry-based Learning that offers a high level of student engagement.
- (S.T.E.A.M.) Science, Technology, Engineering, Art & Math focused Learning Commons/Makerspaces that includes a Wind Tunnel, Magnet Wall, Lego Wall, Light Labs, Robotics, Dash & Dot Coding Robots, Cubelets® Robot Blocks Osmos, Tagoo Blocks, & more hands-on learning tools for optimal inquiry-based learning
- Two Learning Coaches to coordinate flexible approaches to learning, customized for individual student needs.
- Multiple Disciplinary Team (MDT) of Service Providers (OT, SLP, PT, FSLW, EBS, RCSD)
- Multi-age Instruction for Project-Based Learning
- Full wireless capabilities
- Multiple Technology options for student choice (smartboards, FM systems, netbooks, chrome books, iPads, laptops.)
- Junior ATB Financial Literacy Program
- Transportation for catchment students
- 'Munch a Lunch' Hot Lunch Program
- Before & After School Care Facilities (Gold Star, Kinder Kollege Daycare, Numerous Day Homes)
- Levelled Literacy Intervention Program (LLI) for Struggling Readers
- SIOP Program for (ELL) English Language Learners
- Kagan Collaborative Learning Strategies
- Mathletics Program
- Discovery Education
- School Chapel
- Career and Technology Foundations (CTF) Instruction
- French as a Second Language Instruction
- Comprehensive & Collaborative Music Programming for all students
- SJB Student-Led Broadcast Team
- Student Service Learning Clubs
- G.R.A.C.E. Club Social Justice Education & Engagement Learning
- Environmental Education & Engagement Club
- Jr. & Sr. Technology Club
- Volleyball Teams
- Floor Hockey Teams
- Soccer Teams
- Running Club
- Liturgical Music Ministry Club
- Jr. and Sr. Choirs
- Hand Bell Club
- Recorder/Orff Ensemble
- Annual Performances (Celebration of the Arts, Kiwanis Music Festival, Concerts, Community Performances)