Welcome to Kindergarten!
Entering kindergarten is an exciting time for your child and is an important first step in their Catholic education. We want the transition to entering our school community to be as smooth as possible for you and your child.
St. John Bosco has a unique way of orienting children to the program but here are some special tips that you can begin working on immediately to help make the transition from home to school as smooth as possible.
- You can make the transition to school go smoothly for your child:
- Talk often about Kindergarten and reassure your child that it will be an exciting experience.
- Attend our Open House in January.
- Once accepted to our school. participate in our scheduled Spring orientation days,
- Attend our Fall staggered entry days.
- Help your child develop a sense of responsibility. Encourage your child to learn to look after his/her belongings.
- Read with your child daily and have conversations about the books read.
- Explore the world that your child lives in. Talk about what your child sees. Point out signs, numbers and letters that he/she sees.
- Provide opportunities for your child to interact with other children to promote the development of social skills.
- Encourage your child to know his/her personal information (i.e. first and last name and phone number).
- Celebrate together in the little accomplishments that occur each day; this teaches gratitude.
- Pray together to develop the spiritual dimension in your child.
Does your child qualify for Kindergarten?
To see if your child is of Kindergarten age, click on the link below.
Kindergarten Registration Forms
ECSD registration forms are made available only online each January for the next school year. Please visit our website in late January to access the online registration form.
Documentation Required to Register
You will be asked for the following documents, to be uploaded, at the time of your application to register. This will verify your child's name, date of birth and citizenship, as well as residency.
- Birth Certificate
- Canadian Citizen Certificate/Passport
- Baptismal Certificate
- Proof of Residency (Driver's License, Utility Bill)
FAQ about Kindergarten Programming
What should I tell the teacher about my child?
The Early Learning teacher and the school will want as much information as possible. Some guidelines that might help the teacher get to know your child better include:
- How does your child feel about coming to school?
- Has your child been in preschool or daycare or will this be his/her first experience away from home?
- What are your child's special passions or interests?
- What are your child's special needs? (This includes everything from allergies to fears, unique physical or medical conditions, previous speech and language intervention, emotional or behavioural patterns, or any major change that might be occurring in your child's life).
What will my child learn in kindergarten?
In addition to the teacher, Alberta Education is a great resource and publishes, 'Kindergarten in Alberta – A Handbook for Parents-Catholic Version.' The resource is available online on the Alberta Education website or you might ask the school to see a copy during orientation. It is a very valuable resource.
For more information, you may also check out Alberta Education's website at:
Interested in Registering?
We are accepting applications to register for Kindergarten to Grade 6.
To register, go to the bottom right corner of our homepage and click on the 'Register Now' tab. For your convenience, you can also click on the link below:
For information about our school, click on video link below and scroll down to continue reading about what our school offers your child(ren).
We look forward to hearing from you!